A man has been suspended from playing competitive video games after an eSports team ran a competition where he was named the ‘No. 1 Dota 2 player’ in his real name, Fox News reported.
Robert Stock, 27, was ‘checked in’ to the tournament in Australia and cheered on by other viewers as his moves were broadcast on the Twitch.tv site as he played computer-simulated versions of Dota 2’s Hero Boards against the other finalists.
Stock also told local media that he thought the real-life prize money to be given to the winner was set to be $500,000 – instead of the $110,000 prize offered by a sponsor.
But the anonymous tournament organiser contacted Valve on Friday, halting the tournament and banning Stock, Fox News reported.
“Valve doesn’t comment on the real-life details of player contracts, contracts for prize money, or any other matters related to a single player’s specific gaming history,” the company said in a statement.
Stock said that other players were warned the tournament was real-life after some were left confused by signs indicating they were “not competing in a tournament, but simply ‘playing Dota 2’ as per usual” – but they were not warned that the player in question was in fact real.
“I let my ego go,” he said. “Valve has informed me that without any form of ban they will be paying the winner’s prize money.”
Stock added that he had previously met Valve head Gabe Newell, when he had travelled to Seattle to take part in a training camp.
“I met Gabe Newell in his space for about a minute,” he said. “He had some free time and had other people take pictures with him – he was going through his normal daily life.”